Please don’t use rat poison

“What is everone looking at? Wait, I see a rat in the parking lot. Tell Mom to go get it.”

“I am Dracula. I suck the blood of rats”

“Soon I’ll be flying and can go get my own rat.”

“She’s taking my picture. I need to move over here to the best spot.”

Right before dark all three of the babies lined up and I got a shot of them all together. Both parents had just flown away, assuming to go get dinner. Since they are so curious, they were always looking everywhere. It was so amazing seeing these guys growing up. It really is a privilage to have these owls growing up in such a populated area. I didn’t make it back to the nest after this to see them all grown up.  Unfortunately no one got to see 2 of them grow up. I just recently found out that 2 of them died from rat poison. The third one survived. Maybe he didn’t get to eat as much of that poisoned rat that the parent brought back. This is what happens when people use rat poison boxes. The rats don’t die right away and the owl grabs it to bring back to the nest. These owls are a  natural pest control and the three young ones would have cleaned out most of the area of rats for a while when they first start to hunt.

5 thoughts on “Please don’t use rat poison

  1. Hello,

    The owlets are so cute, love the threesome photos. It is sad about the rat poison and two of owls dying. I wish people would not use these poisons. Great collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend!

  2. I have never seen an owl in the wild! These were fascinating photos. I hope one day I will see some owls. We do have them where I live.

Leave a Reply to JM Illinois U.S.A. Cancel reply